- The real name of the musician is Albert Lawrence Dimeola, he was born on July 22, 1954 in one of the suburbs of New York and has Italian roots.
- Music entered the life of Di Meola in early childhood: first he practiced drums, and at the age of 8 switched to guitar. The first teacher of Al was a certain Bob Eslianian (or Aslanyan), a guitarist of Armenian origin.
- Like all normal teens, Di Meola listened to such artists as Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Ventures. Interest in jazz arose after acquaintance with the work of jazz guitarist Larry Koryella. By the way, to the Beatles Di Meola still treats with special warmth and even acted with his own arrangement of the creativity of the “Liverpool Four” in the jazz manner.
- Entering the music college in Berkeley in 1971, Al Di Meola became a truly legendary person there. His zeal became a talk of the town: according to rumors, Di Meola spent eight to ten hours a day on music lessons.
- Already at the age of 19, Dee Meola made his debut as part of the famous jazz-rock band Return to Forever, headed by Chick Corea.
- In 1976, Al Di Meola began a solo career. For 4 years he released several albums and collected a lot of prestigious awards: his records were recognized three times by the best guitar albums, and Di Meola himself was awarded the title of the best jazz guitarist by the version of the magazine Guitar Player.
- Since 1980, Di Meola’s close collaboration with other guitar virtuosos began: Paco de Lucia and John McLaughlin. Having united in a group under the uncomplicated title The Guitar Trio, they recorded several short films. The concert album Friday Night in San Francisco (1980) was a tremendous success, and many are far from the last in the music world people consider it to be the best guitar record in the history of music.
- Ala Di Meola was greatly influenced by the music of Astor Piazzolla, an Argentine composer famous for his tango. The musicians were friends, and Al even considers Piazzolla as their godfather in music. Ideas Piazzolla Di Meola developed within the established in 1990, the group Al Di Meola World Sinfonia, which included, among other things, Latin American musicians.
- In 2005, Di Meola recorded a joint album with a certain Leonid Agutin, called Cosmopolitan Life. Strangely enough, the author of the music was Agutin, not the old El.
- Al Di Meola, thanks largely to his early albums, is also considered one of the pioneers of the shreda – ultra-fast sound extraction when playing the guitar. In this context, his influence was recognized by such masters as Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci and (suddenly) Richie Sambora, who seemed not to have been noticed in excessive “rate of fire”.
- In the 60’s it was necessary to play, like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page. Otherwise, no one would work with you. So it happened with me. I did not want to be taken into any group, they say, I do not fit “according to the standard”, style and all that.
- I actively use 80 guitars. I really love playing the guitar, which made the Spanish master Conte Fermanes. Also, Gibson made specially for me guitars of the model “Al Di Meola”: one jazz and one electric guitar. They are unique, and more such guitars do not exist.
- About modern show business:
Someone has the impudence to call them artists. But they are not artists. In fact, they are robbers! These guys have zero talent. Nothing. They can not sing. They can not compose music. They do not know how to play musical instruments. They can not even dance properly. Look, for example, on Eminem. But this is not music. It’s just some kind of evil energy, which is clothed in a kind of pseudo-poetic form. All this upsets me beyond any measure.
- I already took lessons in a music school, but in accordion class. Can not imagine how I hated it. Once my sister arranged a party for us at home, which brought a bunch of her friends and girlfriends. And then someone brought the guitar and the Fender amplifier. I was lucky, because the guitar hit me in my arms. From this day my life changed forever.
- About Al Di Meola World Sinfonia:
The band fully corresponds to my musical concept. The team includes representatives of different countries – Argentina, Cuba and Israel. And at concerts we perform not only my works, but also the works of Astor Piazzolla. And they organically complement each other.
- I am sure that music is quite capable of healing. Personally, before a concert, I can feel tired or even sick. And during the game, all this negative goes somewhere … in general, playing the guitar for me somewhere between religion and meditation. Therefore, considering the emergence of a variety of situations in life, sometimes you just need to give up everything, and then sit down and start playing music …